HEALTHY CAMPING MEALS
Just because you’re camping, and need to prepare simple meals over the fire in a flash, it doesn’t mean healthy eating habits should get left behind at home. The following easily transported meals will be tasty enough to tempt all of your companions — whether you're tenting in a forest or barbequing on a beach.
TIPS: Do as much chopping, prepping and pre-making as possible in your kitchen before you go. Pack perishables in air- and water-tight containers in the cooler. Don’t forget to pack 4 important items for the recipes that follow:
1. Heavy-duty aluminum foil — the heavier the better so that it doesn’t burn and disintegrate, and absorbed into the food; nobody needs aluminum in their body.
2. Large zip-lock bags. They make combining ingredients easy when big bowls & countertops are non-existent!
3. Cast iron skillet. Perfect for over the fire or on the grill.
4. Whole grain tortillas. A wrap is not only a super portable hot or cold meal, it enables anything to be added within it — from last night’s lasagna to leftover salad, breakfast basics, and virtually everything you pull off a fire or grill!
GREEK CHICKEN & POTATO WRAPS
- 3 large boneless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 red onions, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 pinches cayenne pepper
- Prepared hummus or tzatziki sauce
In a large-size zip-top bag, combine the chicken, onion, red pepper, garlic and potatoes. Pour in the olive oil and lemon juice. Shake and mix well.
Divide the combined ingredients onto the 3 sheets of aluminum foil. Sprinkle oregano, salt and cayenne pepper onto the top of each. Top the three piles with another sheet of heavy-duty foil, and roll up the edges tightly.
Cook on the preheated portable grill (or over campfire coals) until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and potatoes are tender, turning over the pouches once. (Preheated grill, about 15 minutes/campfire 30-40 minutes.) In a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, lightly warm tortillas. Pile a portion of the mixture onto the center of each warmed tortilla, top with hummus/tzatziki or feta cheese, and roll, tucking two sides in. Tastes even better as leftovers the next day… SAUSAGE, KALE & WHITE BEAN WRAPS Ingredients
- 6 turkey sausages, cut into coins (herbed or spicy variety is best)
- 1 can white beans, rinsed
- 4 cups chopped kale
- I can corn, well drained
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 - 5 sundried tomatoes, packed in oil, chopped fine
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon water
Preheat the portable grill. Add 1 tablespoon oil, sliced turkey sausage and onion to the cast iron skillet and cook, stirring, until sausage is no longer pink and onion is translucent. Add garlic and simmer for 1 minute. Stir in chopped kale and water and cook until starting to wilt. Add beans, corn, sundried tomatoes, rosemary, salt & pepper and simmer for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Cook until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat. In a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, lightly warm tortillas. Pile a portion of the mixture onto the center of each warmed tortilla, and roll, tucking two sides in. Tastes even better as leftovers the next day.