7 Step Deprivation-Free Detox
“Detox” and “delicious” aren’t usually words found in the same sentence. But Master Cleanses and Kombucha concoctions aside, it is possible to clean up your diet without taking drastic measures or giving up flavourful food. To get your diet on-track, you do need to make conscious, mindful choices from breakfast to post-dinner each day. Follow this 7-Step 7-Day guide, which features healthful, fresh-tasting options to give your system a much needed break, and boost both nutrients and energy.
Easy 7-Step 7-Day Plan to Detox the Healthy Way:
Avoid all sugar. This includes all types of processed sugar and products that are made with them. This does not include small portions of dates, dried fruit, maple syrup and honey.
Avoid all flour. This includes all products made with flour including bread, pasta, crackers and desserts. This includes whole grain flour. This does not include whole oats, whole quinoa, whole brown rice or other whole grains made into hot cereals, salads, loaves and casseroles.
Avoid all alcohol.
Avoid all processed oil. This includes conventional canola, safflower, peanut and other oils refined at high heat that aren’t extra virgin. It also includes all goods produced with these such as fast foods and packaged foods. It does not include extra virgin olive, raw coconut or other oils labelled “raw” or “extra virgin”. These can be used as much as you want, along with other foods high in essential fats including avocados, raw seeds and raw nuts.
To minimize withdrawal effects from avoided foods:
- Get enough sleep (7-9 hours per night). Without it, your body cries out for bursts of quick energy from sugar and simple carbs, which offer a “drug-like high” effect that ends in a blood sugar crash.
- Start each morning with 2 large glasses of water (preferably warm, which helps digestion and elimination), and drink 2-3 more large glasses throughout the day.
Go alkaline. Eat as many and as much of these alkaline-forming, high-fibre foods as possible to reduce inflammation, lower acidity, boost nutrients, balance blood sugar and help cleanse:
- Fresh vegetables. Eat a rainbow of green, orange, purple, red and yellow, and include leafy, cruciferous (broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower) and tubers (yams, beets).
- Herbs, fresh and dried. Add them to everything.
- Immune-boosting mushrooms (especially shiitake, maitake, oyster).
- Fresh or frozen fruit of all kinds.
- Legumes (beans, lentils, chickpeas, peas)
Buy a detox kit with special ingredients to aid bowel elimination, detox the liver and kidneys, and help rid the body of heavy metals, pollutants, and chemicals from foods and household products. Follow directions carefully and complete it for 3-7 days.