Lack of time is a major reason why healthy eating flies out the door, especially when you’re eating breakfast and/or lunch on the run. If you must eat “fast food,” improve the quality: stock the fridge/school bag/bike panier/car with healthy to-go meals so you're less likely to be tempted by a drive-through.
Here are 6 portable meals perfect for school or work breakfasts, lunches or snacks:
1. Huevos-In-A-Hurry: Spread two toasted slices of whole-grain bread with half a mashed avocado combined with 1 Tbsp fresh tomato salsa. Top with a scrambled egg. Make into a sandwich. Place in a glass food-storage container for easy transport to reheat or eat cold. (complex carbs + good fats + veggies + protein = ✔)
2. Overnight Breakfast: At night, combine ½ cup almond/coconut milk, ½ cup rolled oats, Tbsp chia seeds, handful raisins/3 chopped Medjool dates, ¼ cup blueberries, half a mashed banana, ¼ cup chopped nuts, ¼ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp vanilla in sealed glass food-storage container and refrigerate. By morning, you’ll have delicious “overnight oats” to eat cold or heat in the microwave. (complex carbs + good fats + fruit + protein = ✔)
3. Bring-Anywhere Burrito: Combine ½ cup cooked quinoa, ½ cup canned black beans, ½ cup canned corn, 1/3 cup diced cooked sweet potato, Tbsp chopped red onion, Tbsp chopped bell pepper, sprinkled feta cheese with olive oil and apple cider vinegar salad dressing. Wrap a warmed whole grain tortilla. Wrap in foil. Make several to freeze. (protein + veggies + good fats + complex carbs = ✔)
4. Leftover Salad: Toss 2 cups of last night’s leftover roasted or steamed veggies with 1 tsp each sprinkled dried oregano and rosemary, ½ tbsp olive oil and ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar. Top with a sunny-side-up egg/diced tofu and grated Parmesan cheese. Place in a glass food-storage container to eat cold or reheat. (veggies + immune-boosting herbs + good fats + protein = ✔)
5. No-Bake-No-Fuss Energy Bars: Combine: 2 Tbsp coconut oil, 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed, 1/3 cup shredded coconut, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts/pecans, 1/2 cup grated carrot, 1 cup almond or oat flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar or honey or 6 chopped Medjool dates, 1/4 cup nut butter or apple sauce, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 2 Tbsp vegan protein powder, 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger (optional). Stir ingredients together, flatten on parchment paper in a container, slice into bars and refrigerate. (good fats + veggies + complex carbs + protein = ✔)
6. Dessert For Breakfast: Prebake a healthy berry crisp, and when you’re ready to eat it, top with almond/coconut milk. Combine filling: 2 large apples/peaches (sliced), 1 cup berries, 3 Tbsp maple syrup/honey, 1 Tbsp flour, 1 tsp cinnamon. Combine topping: 2/3 cup oat/rye/spelt flakes, 1/3 cup oat flour, 2 Tbsp chopped pecans, 2 Tbsp maple syrup/honey, 3 Tbsp coconut oil (or 2 Tbsp olive oil + 1 Tbsp butter). Bake in a 350ºF oven for 40-50 minutes, until top is golden. (fruit + complex carbs + protein + good fats = ✔)